When asked if they'd prefer a boy or girl, the typical pregnant woman answers "we just want a healthy baby". As most of my loyal readers know, I was not the typical pregnant woman. I wanted a daughter so desperately that there was no way I could pretend I didn't care. When I learned I'd be having a second boy I was heartbroken and cried for days. To me, motherhood had always really meant having a daughter. I imagined brushing long hair, decorating a feminine nursery, ballet classes, tea parties, and hours spent talking about feelings. But this time at least, having a little girl was not meant to be. What was meant to be was Jimmy.
In such a short time Jimmy has brought so much to our lives. Charlie has always been fast and funny and ready for a challenge, but Jimmy is sweetness and warmth embodied.
This morning, as I opened my eyes, I saw that Jimmy was awake and staring eagerly at my face. As soon as our eyes met, his face lit up with a delighted smile. I sleepily smiled back and he touched my face and giggled as if we'd just shared a happy secret. My heart swelled with love, as it so often does when I have the chance to be still and present with Jimmy, and for a few minutes I felt like the luckiest person in the world. What a gift this little guy has been. So, thank you Jimmy, for being who you are, boy and all.
As for pictures, I'll post the ones from our recent trip to West Virginia with Uncle Cam soon. For now, check out the amazingly fun time we had on the Bourbon Trail thanks to the organizing skills of a few of the dads in our playgroup. We left Charlie with the Meiers and had some one on one time with sweet Jimmy, which was a rare treat. Now that Billy and I are bourbon snobs, I'm planning to grow some mint so I can make a proper Mint Julep to cool off these hot summer nights for us.
1 comment:
I know what you mean about the boy thing. When I was pregnant with Mack I secretly wanted another girl - I couldn't imagine loving a boy as much as I love Evelyn. But, now that he is here he brings so much sweetness and love and cuteness that I can't imagine it any other way!!
Post a Comment