Friday, October 15, 2010

Princess Mommy









Ironically, the very person responsible for the tragic demise of my toned abs, straight, glossy hair, and youthful complexion is the person who makes me feel the most beautiful these days. Another perk of having boys: through Charlie's eyes, I'm the prettiest girl in the world. Each day, when I emerge from my precious few minutes in the bathroom, a little makeup dabbed on, hair still wet, decked out in my fluffy robe, he looks up from whatever he's doing to gasp "Mommy! You look just like Princess Fiona!" (Of course, he might be referring to Princess Fiona when she's the ogre, but I'm not complaining). He loves it when I wear dresses and nightgowns, insisting I'm a girl, not a boy like him, Jimmy, and daddy, and so I should wear "beautiful things, not handsome things". He loves to brush my hair. And when I wear perfume, he says, "oh, mommy, you smell like a beautiful girl flower!" How can I not feel like a princess? And his compliments know no limits: (WARNING: the next example of Charlie's affection might be very disturbing to some of my more sensitive readers) last weekend, the boys and I were snuggling in bed while Charlie stroked my hand, then arm, then underarm. "Oh mommy" he gushed "the hair under your arm is so beautiful!" Well, it's clearly time for someone to wax. But what other person in the world sees me through such generous eyes? I know soon enough he'll think I'm the most embarrassing, uncool, and boring companion in the world, but I hope I can be Princess Mommy just a little while longer.

2 comments:

Julie Docter said...

I love this post, because I think about that too. I was just saying to Doug the other day that I better be the only woman in Grant's life for a long time! Thanks for posting one of the pictures from our visit too.

Baba said...

With just 1+1/2 months to turning the "BIG THREE" aggressive (sometimes) Charlie has turned into lovable (most times) Charlie. He has always been a very sensitive boy, but now he is pouring his sensitivity into loving his beautiful (mom) and handsome (dad, Charlie abd Jimmy). Little boys do LOVE their mommies!

Watch out for Jimmy, who is crawling faster than a speeding bullet and grabbing at everything his brother has. So far, brotherly love wins over as Charlie follows his mom's great suggestion of quickly substituting a "baby" toy for Jimmy and thus keeping his "big boy" toy for himself (clever mom!). Jimmy LOVES everyone, espically his cuddly mommy, even if he still keeps her covered in baby goo most days.