Friday, June 15, 2012

What is the deal with crowded restaurants?

I'm sorry to tell you that we'll be much too fancy for most of you by the time we return to the stats. I'm 99% sure that Jerry Seinfeld helped me with my stroller and gave us his seat at a crowded creperie in Notting Hill yesterday. I was too flustered to think much about the American in glasses and a Yankees hat who saw us struggling and kindly said "Here, take my seat. I have kids and I know how it is" until Bill joined us and whispered "I think that's Jerry Seinfeld!" When I glanced over at him, he smiled and shrugged. After checking his schedule later (pathetic, I know), it looks like he had a recent show in London, so maybe we had a real celebrity sighting!

Even without our special moment with Jerry, Notting Hill was wonderful. It's just a short walk from us but we hadn't ventured over there yet. Now I've decided that if I win the lottery (which I've never nor will ever play) I'll buy a little flat here. You know, for 1,000,000 pounds.

Charlie is such a photogenic child
But perhaps my love for Notting Hill was helped along by the weather. While it wasn't sunny, the warmish cloudiness was a huge improvement. The earlier days of this week were a struggle. Lots and lots of rain. Even so we walked to the Victoria and Albert Museum and Science Museum on Monday, and took a train way out to a suburb to go to the Museum of Childhood on Tuesday.

On a whim (and facing an afternoon at home with the boys) we took a train to another suburb to go to a children's play we heard about. It ended up being an awesome play and a very fun day. We even stopped at the playground Charlie has been obsessed with since he saw it last week. Despite being soggy, we caught the only 15 minutes break in rain all day.
The Tower of London is in the background!
On Wednesday the sun shone for the first time in...well, I honestly can't remember how long. So the boys and I took the train out of town again and spent the day at the Horniman Museum and Gardens.

The fresh air did us all good


London skyline


Unfortunately, Britain is expected to get it's worst rainstorm in 50 years tonight. We trying our best to come up with a plan for the weekend.

Since we began planning this trip I've hoped to have a "fancy" tea party with Charlie at the Orangery Tea Room. Bill and I loved it when we were here last, and I knew Charlie would find it elegant and special. Bill finished all his work this morning, so today was the day!


  It turns out they weren't serving tea yet, but we didn't let that ruin our date!

Juice in a wine glass--very brave of them!

Very fancy indeed!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

See Court, you can still have tea parties with kids even if they are boys! Charlie, like his "metro-sexual" grandpa Coach(men who enjoy some typically feminine pursuits), will always be there for you by enjoying fine things and conversing like a 30 year old at 4.

Once again, its nice to see you staying calm in the midst of a raging-Jimmy-tantrum storm to be rewareded by a sincere Jimmy-smile-hug.