Sunday, June 22, 2008

Another year










Billy and I have been married four years! This year Charlie joined us on our annual trip to the Heidel House on Green Lake. (Charlie came along last year, too, but he doesn't seem to remember that.) After practicing his swimming in his blow-up pool, then trying out the kiddie pool, Charlie was ready for the big pool. He loved it! He especially loved splashing mommy and daddy and trying to swallow the water.

I remember that the enormity of becoming a mom really hit me last year on this trip. While lounging by the pool, basking that wonderful feeling of carefree relaxation that is only possible when you're a childless twenty-something on vacation , Billy and I talked about how different our anniversary vacation was going to be next year. I wondered if we'd be frazzled, stressed, different people? I wondered if having a baby tagging along would make our favorite activities impossible. I didn't realize how much fun Charlie's company would be, or that the activities that aren't so good with a six month old (an extra-long cocktail hour gazing at the lake...reading by the pool...lingering and talking over dessert after a slow dinner...) would be replaced by even more enjoyable things (walking into town with the stroller...playing in the water...showing Charlie the places we've come to love and sharing pride in his curiousity about it all...) I didn't realize how much fun we were in for. People are right about having children: it changes everything, but you'll never regret it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah Mama Court and Papa Billy,
you have discovered the secret to life...sharing your love with a child of your own! From the moment you first look into your child's eyes there will never be another day that they won't be the center of your life and thoughts.