Sunday, April 19, 2009

Lone Mommy










How do single moms do it? Charlie and I spent 5 days in West Virginia seeing Grandpa and Baba, then Billy left the day after we returned. (Coincidentally, he went to my parents' house, too, because he presented at a conference at Davis and Elkins!) For the past 10 days, my only breaks from Charlie were ni-ni time and one day of daycare. I've never appreciated Billy more. And yet it's been a wonderful 10 days. I feel like I've fallen in love with Charlie all over again, and as my loyal readers know, I really needed to have some new reasons to fall in love with him.

Billy is back and I finally have some time on the computer. But considering the thumps and shrieks coming from upstairs, I think this is going to be a short respite. So, here are some brief highlights...

*After struggling to get us and our things through the airport, being selected for a special screening at the security checkpoint then spilling liquid green beans all over both of us when we made it to our seats, Charlie screamed bloody murder the entire flight to Pittsburgh. It was so bad the man next to us called for the flight attendant and begged to change seats. It was possibly my worst parenting experience to date.

*Things got much, much better. Charlie had a blast with Uncle Rick and Aunt Maureen at the Pittsburgh Children's Museum. He liked the garage exhibit the most and raced cars for a good 30 minutes.

* Check out the video of Easter brunch... Charlie was so tired from playing with Baba and Grandpa that he fell asleep in his chair. He kept eating his toast and signing "more" and "please" as his head nodded off to sleep and then jerked awake. After about 10 minutes he fell asleep for good, giving mommy the best Easter present she has ever received: getting to have seconds (and maybe even thirds ;) without trying to settle and hold a fussy baby.

* Baba and Grandpa were great with Charlie, and he had fun playing with both of them. As we headed back through the security checkpoint, Charlie blew kisses and waved dramatically at Grandpa, which was amusing to the other pasengers seemed to endear us to the security people...no special screening this time around!

*On Friday, Charlie and I headed to Chicago to meet Liam, Nicole and Jon's adorable baby boy. Unfortunately, Charlie got really jealous when I held Liam and he tried to pry him from my arms. Jon and Nicole seemed to be doing really well and I couldn't believe how much Liam looks like both of them.

* After leaving Liam, we spent the night with Carissa and Jamie and their kids William and Louisa. Charlie was enthralled with Louisa, who ran laps around him and showed off her cool toys. I had fun visiting with Carissa, whom I miss so much.

* While waiting for daddy at the airport tonight, Charlie fell off a chair and bumped his head really hard. I felt awful. Even though he seems to be fine, the doctor said we need to wake him every 4 hours and make sure he can walk and talk properly. I already feel bad for Charlie, but I know I'm going to feel worse when I have to wake him in the middle of the night.

* Daddy is home and we couldn't be happier!


2 comments:

kate said...

That video is priceless! Love it. Can't wait to see you in a few weeks for the graduation parties.

Baba said...

As cute as the video was it really didn't do the Easter Brunch scene at Graceland justice. Charlie actually ate, while sleeping, for 10 minutes and when he signed for more toast it captured our hearts! Just as our wild and wonderful grandson completes our life so do his beautiful and wise mother, handsome and helpful father, and talented and daring Uncle Cam do too!