Sunday, December 13, 2009

Big boy bed






Well, it finally happened... last Tuesday I sat Charlie in his crib (where he usually flips through books and talks to his animals) while I got in the shower. About halfway through, the curtain flew open and I was greeted with a triumphant "Hi Mommy!" After catching my breath, I had Charlie act out his grand escape and he proudly demonstrated "one leg, two leg, jump!" as he easily threw his legs over the side of the crib. The next day we set up the big boy bed. The first night was difficult--after 45 minutes of pretending to lie down compliantly only to run out the room squealing minutes later--he decided he wanted to sleep on the floor next to the bed with me. I was so tired I agreed and we shared a really uncomfortable night. I was hopeful the next day when he started playing a game of tucking his favorite animals into bed and telling them to stay there and not run away. Sure enough, he napped in his new bed easily and even lasted from bedtime until 12:30 that night before coming into our room. Since then all has been well and he even calls his new bed "nice-n-cozy". Oh, the little triumphs of parenthood!

Another perk of the new bed is getting to set up the crib for baby #2. I love the bumper Mac made so I was excited to get it out again. Seeing the crib ready for a newborn has me feeling sentimental and eager. Charlie seems to understand that the crib is for the new baby, and he and I practiced putting a "baby" monkey to sleep in the crib a few times. I'm feeling so big and uncomfortable that I'm thinking (and hoping) that this baby will make an early appearance like Charlie did. We'll be ready!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

write a book...it is so much fun to read "adventures with Charlie"..love, toach

megan said...

when i saw that first picture i pictured charlie saying, "moo moo pajamas!" although i don't think those are them, haha!

Cole said...

Hooray for charlie's big boy bed. Loved reading your post aloud to jon. We both laughed. Miss you guys.
p.s. Laid down the law with liam... he's sleeping much better :)