Friday, July 15, 2011

Hide and Seek




Every day Charlie begs me to play hide and seek with him. I try to persuade him to play something else, but he always has his heart set on hide and seek. Here's the problem: no matter how obvious my hiding spot (think sitting in the middle of the living room with a blanket over my head) Charlie panics and starts crying for me. Yesterday he talked me into playing a couple of rounds and he managed to keep it together for almost a minute before the panic set in. On the third round, I watched him from behind the door of the TV cabinet--which was about five feet from him and only covers my knees through shoulders. He counted to ten with happy anticipation, then, as he lowered his hands from his eyes, his smile crumbled and he threw up his arms and cried "oh no! not again!" I stepped out from behind the cabinet door and he ran over and melted into my arms and started to cry. "I'm right here. Why do you get so scared?" I asked him. "I thought you left for Texas while I was counting" he choked out. I asked him why he keeps wanting to play hide and seek and he said he needs to get better at finding me.

Later that night, while we waited for Daddy to get the bedtime books, Charlie and I pulled the sheets over our head and lay close together. He asked me to describe his new classroom and he made up funny guesses for his new friends' names. Suddenly he said, "I think we should stop playing hide and seek. We need to throw that game out with the trash!" "Maybe that's a good idea", I agreed. He thought about it a minute and said, "or maybe you need to hide somewhere where I can always see you."

2 comments:

Baba said...

Yeah, Baba finally has her computer up and running at her new house? I feel like I need to adopt Charlie's oh so thoughtful "hide and seek game"...
Coach and Baba just moved to a new home at the bottom of the hill next to D&E College in Elkins. Cam and Margaret just moved to Cam's first ever just "one couple" home (verses Cam and 4 other guys) in Missoula, and Court and family are soon driving all the way to Texas to start the next exciting chapter of their life at TCU in Fort Worth. Although both sets of grandparents will miss you all sooo much this is truly a wonderful opportunity that only promises a bright future for your family.

Although it is always a little scary to move, trust me Charlie, we will always find each other because we are a family and that's what famlies do!

Charlie looks more like Billy every day. Jimmy (Jim Bob in WV) still has his great smile and cousin Joey is just too cute.

Lexi said...

I saw your comment on motherhood, wtf, & stumble onto this post :( poor baby but that was soo heart-breakingly sweet that he wanted you to hide in plain sight.