"People can love each other even if they look different. Like, you look old and daddy looks handsome, and you love each other."
"Did you draw this, Jimmy? It's really good! You're even a better artist than I am!" He turns to me and says in a loud whisper, "I'm just saying that to be nice."
Charlie: Mommy, will you be my Valentine?
Me: I'd love to be! But then who will be Daddy's Valentine?
Charlie (with his hands faced upwards as if he's stating the obvious): Coach!
Me: Oh, of course. Okay, let's be Valentines.
"Poor mommy. All she got for Valentine's Day is this big mess to clean up" (as he surveys the room from his comfy spot on the couch.) Oh, and for the record, I had a lovely Valentine's Day with plenty of goodies!
Me: Honey, it's late. We better go to bed.
Charlie (with a sly grin): I think tonight I'm going to be nocturnal!
"I hope this Valentine's Day I eat so much candy I throw up!"
Charlie: Do kids get one wish on Valentine's Day?
Me: Sure.
Charlie: I wish Uncle Cameron was here to play with us.
I often tease the kids about yucky things we're going to have for dinner or lunch. Today Charlie called me into the living room and held my hands in his hands. "Mommy, I need to have a serious talk with you. I've been thinking... I really don't want you to talk about pickled schnerbs anymore. Do you understand?"
Charlie, ever the romantic, loves to adjust the dimmer on our dining room chandelier and ask if this is what the lights at our wedding looked like.
Charlie: Do you have to love someone for them to be your Valentine?
Mom: I suppose not. Why?
Charlie: Well, I want you to be my Valentine but I just like you as a friend.
"When I grow up, will I have a grouchy voice like daddy?"
2 comments:
How did I miss this post? What a cute little guy!
As Art Linkletter use to say, "kids say the darn-est things" ( he was the host of a TV show in the 50's about kids, similar to today's "Funniest Home Videos". Charlie's comments on his world would have cracked Art Linkletter up, as he does us.
Thank you for keeping us up to date with our treasured grandsons through your cleverly written blog,
Post a Comment