At his first game, Charlie was a soccer mom's dream come true. He happily donned his uniform, posed obediently for the team photos, and played with enthusiasm and skill--even making the first goal of the game.
Charlie's second game didn't go quite as smoothly. When we got to the field, Charlie decided he didn't want to play. Not wanting to be one of those parents, I figured I ought to let him choose to participate or not. For a while Charlie sat next to Bill in the bleachers and Jimmy played around them with his cheetah and hippo figurines. As I watched a dad berate his three year old for not hustling, I felt confident in my decision. But Charlie still wouldn't respond to the coach's gentle coaxing at halftime, so I suggested he cheer his team on from the stands. I thought it might be a good way to get him involved in the game in a different way. What started as dignified clapping turned to loud cheering, and then to a spectacle that will likely haunt every soccer dad who witnessed it.
Charlie and Jimmy (who had abandoned his animals to join the cheering) somehow migrated to the top of the bleachers, and started doing an eerily synchronized pep routine. The cheers themselves weren't so bad--go team! get some points!-- but the chorus line kicks and jazz hands that accompanied them were... awkward. And the booty shaking was downright inappropriate. In any other situation I would have found their dancing and singing cute, but even I was a little embarrassed by the performance. As other parents turned to look at them, then smiled confusedly at Bill and me before turning back to the game, I shrugged helplessly and joked "maybe Charlie's in the wrong activity."
PS: The first photos are of Texas' famous Bluebonnets, which cover almost every field this time of year. The second group of photos are from the zoo. We go every week but I finally thought to bring my camera along!
2 comments:
Male cheerleaders are amazing athletes!
Beautiful flowers, beautiful boys! Great parenting letting Charlie call the shots in his budding athletic career.
Post a Comment