Saturday, August 4, 2007

21 weeks











As you know, last week Billy and I found out we are having a little boy. For the first few months of my pregnancy I was certain I was having a girl. I couldn’t imagine how I’d go about raising a boy (although I knew it would involve things like wrestling and trucks) so I decided I was having a girl and that my mothering would focus on things like tea parties, ballet classes, and long conversations about her favorite color.

A few days before the ultrasound, I started having a really strong feeling that the little she was actually a little he. I even came close to buying a few vintage “boys” books I found the weekend before our appointment—King Arthur, Robin Hood, and Wind in the Willows—but I was still shocked when the technician gave us the news. Of course I’m excited to be having a boy, and most of all I’m happy that we got to see how wiggly and strong the little guy is, but now I’m trying to comprehend how I’ll raise a son. I’ve dedicated the last week to finding common ground with this suddenly strange little stranger.

Luckily, I’ve discovered that the mysterious world of boys is not without its charms. In Lieu of Marigold Garden, Billy and I found an adorable book called The Dangerous Book for Boys with such important bits of wisdom as “if you see a girl trying to lift a heavy box, resist the urge to taunt her. Instead, approach her and surreptitiously test its weight. If you find you can lift it, do so. If not, sit on it and make polite conversation.”

I ordered swatches of some fabrics (see above) and I’m very excited that Mac (grandma Meier) has offered to help sew much of the bedding. For some reason, Billy gets a kick out of animals that act like dignified and well-dressed humans (particularly monkeys, frogs, and regal creatures like penguins and lions.) As you can see, I tried to reflect this in the fabric we picked!

Lastly, I found a couple of Beatrix Potter books with a more masculine feel than my usual favorites (Squirrel Nutkin and Mrs. Tiggy Winkle). We especially like The Tale of Jeremy Fisher...and yes, it features a frog wearing a sportcoat and acting very dignified. We’ve framed some of the illustrations around the room.

So, perhaps my future will involve more wrestling, chasing, and bugs than I hoped, but I’ve learned it will also involve humor, lightheartedness, and love.
Courtney




No comments: