Sunday, December 2, 2007

38 weeks



I can't believe it, but I think we're really ready. The clothes are washed and organized, the carseat is installed, we have plenty of soups and casseroles in the freezer, and our to-do and to-buy lists are covered in checks. This weekend we had a wonderful snowstorm and I loved just laying in front of the fire, feeling our little guy kick and wiggle, and knowing there isn't anything left to do but think about him.

As always, the beginning of December has been full of excitement and fun. Last Wednesday, the three non-pregnant coworkers hosted a lovely lunch for the three pregnant ones. Then, Katy's bachelorette party was on Friday (and although I had a very good time, I can only imagine the pitying thoughts of the onlookers as their eyes passed over all the pretty bachelorettes--especially the beautiful bride!--and came to the 9-months pregnant lady scarfing down all the bread and pasta.) Tomorrow we have our yearly holiday work dinner at the fancy Magnus Restaurant, and yes, I plan to scarf down bread and pasta there, too!

As the excitement of the holiday season begins, I've realized I can't imagine having a baby any other time of year. In addition to getting a nice tax break, I think the time line of my pregnancy has been perfect:

I always think of summer as a time of relaxation and traveling, and with our baby's arrival so far away, we were able to visit family and friends and enjoy all the lazy traditions we love like reading by the lake, baking, and going for walks downtown.

Fall is one of my favorite seasons because of the anticipatory feeling in the air. I love the idea of preparing for winter and the holidays, and as the autumn months tick away (and they always do so quickly...unlike early spring) I feel like excitement is building. This year that familiar feeling matched perfectly with my increasing excitement and preparation for our baby; freezing meals and washing soft blankets made me feel like a squirrel hiding nuts for the winter!

And winter, possibly my favorite season, has always been the climax of the year for me. Christmas, my birthday, New Years...I associate December with lots of celebration and switching the focus from "preparing" to "enjoying". For me, the arrival of our baby makes perfect sense during such an exciting time.

I think of post-holiday winter as a time time to slow down, feel cozy and safe indoors, and be close to my family. I can already imagine hibernating with my new little family while the rest of the world is cold and quiet.

Okay, enough reflecting...back to my fire!

Courtney

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing your feelings with us. Being a "Camalot" fan, this week's blog reminds me of one of my favorite songs, "If ever I would leave you...". For those readers younger than 40, it is a song about how special each season is and how wonderful it is to spend time with your loved one during that season. December has always been my favorite month because that was the month that my beautiful baby girl, Courtney Laine Wilson, was born.