Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Slugs and Snails and Puppy Dog Tails



Over the weekend we went to a cookout and Charlie got to meet an adorable little girl who is 6 months older (and about 5 pounds lighter!) Watching the two dads play with their kids made me think about the differences in raising sons and daughters. When babies are little, I think parents' stereotypes lead them to treat boys and girls differently, and by the time they're toddlers, many kids seem to already have ideas about how their gender ought to behave. Of course there are many exceptions to this, but it's interesting to see how quickly our beliefs about boys and girls are passed on to them. At the cookout, Billy looked on proudly while Charlie grabbed handfuls of grass and chased after the dog. Meanwhile, the other daddy sat protectively close to his little girl and gently picked her up when she wandered too far. My hunch is that Billy would be more protective if we had a little girl, too. At least, I don't think he would have given her an (empty) beer bottle to play with. Sigh.

Charlie's newest game is waking from his nap, and then sitting in his crib and talking to his lion and monkey for a while before calling for us. It's the cutest thing ever! Billy and I eavesdrop at the door and try to laugh silently so we don't disturb him.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

After years of watching my own boy and girl and other's boys and girls in preschool I agree that not only do they act differently, but they play differently too. Studies show that teachers come up close to talk to little girls, yet often call across the room to talk to little boys.

Are Charlie's lion and monkey answering him? Your daddy had an on going puppet show with your stuffed animals which always made you and Cam laugh.

Anonymous said...

What a perfect surface for Charlie to hold while he is practicing to walk. I notice that he is always "looking" for the next item to grab! What a happy, curious, brave little boy you have...he must make his Papa + Mama proud.

We are so glad you do a weekly blog and video about our grandson so, even though we are separated by miles, we can still watch all his milestones.

E said...

I simply adore your blog. And highly approve of the alligator t-shirt. :)

Aunt Maureen said...

Charlie is absolutely adorable! I can't believe how big he's gotten!
David walked at 9 months and Andrew at 11 months. David took more tumbles however. I can't wait to see Charlie again! He'll be talking before you know it.