After wind chills of -40 last week, Charlie, Billy, and I have been experiencing a little cabin fever. Without fresh air or sunshine for way too long and after particularly stressful weeks at work, Billy and I needed to get away. We were excited when Mary, Brian, and their kids invited us to join them at a lighthouse on Lake Michigan. The lighthouse, which is still operating, is reserved for families of the Coast Guard and sits on a beautiful beach in a nature preserve. The huge house has been divided into three guest suites but we were the only ones brave enough for a beach weekend in the middle of January!
Once again the weather was frigid (6 degrees before wind chill) but it felt so good to get bundled up and venture outside. The beach looked just like a beach ought to--bright sun, blue sky, waves lapping--but with the reeds waving on dunes of icy snow instead of sand and with steam rising from the water. It felt like we were a million miles away from reality.
On Saturday the lodge hosted a night-walk through the woods on paths illuminated by tea lights. We decided it was too cold for Charlie, so after they returned from their walk, the Meier's played with Charlie at the cozy lodge while Billy and I walked. It was so simple and peaceful and really gave us the chance to take a deep breath and just enjoy each other.
I think this week will bring more snow and freezing temperatures, but I feel ready to face them again.
1 comment:
Yeah Lighthouse, Finally Billy, Courtney and Charlie get a much needed break from the four walls in their fridged Wisconsin home to the round walls of a Lighthouse in fridged Lake Michigan...thats what you get when you live in the midwest in January!
A change of scenery is always great and especially with Billy's extended family, who I know you enjoy being with. I am glad you now have a little one to play with their little ones.
Post a Comment