Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The final months of Madison


Sorry I haven't posted lately-- I left our camera in Ohio, so, in addition to having a gap in our archives of Charlie's 2nd year, we don't have any photos to post. Luckily, Lindsay took this one at a fashion show recently (alas, Charlie and I were spectators, not models) so you can see how grown up he is. When he swaggers around with his mop of golden hair and jeans, I can't get over what a kid he is!

This summer has been an emotional one for me. I'm proud of Billy, thrilled to be moving to Ohio, sad about leaving our friends and my job, and stressed about selling our house. We've had a handful of showings but no offer yet. Last week Charlie and I had strep throat and I felt just about at the end of my rope. However, it's been a really good summer, too, with lots of time with friends, fun outings around Madison, and visits to Chicago, Milwaukee and Cincinnati. Next weekend we're heading back to the Heidel House to celebrate our 5th wedding anniversary. 

Charlie has been growing so much lately--both physically and mentally. Yesterday we were playing with a plastic ball with shape cut-outs that you put blocks into. I showed him several times how to match the block to the hole and all of a sudden it clicked and he excitedly started matching himself. Moments like those are so necessary after the moments of rough playing and boundary testing. Charlie can be such a charmer one moment and so naughty the next, I've said this so many (too many) times to friends lately, but I'll repeat it once more here... I've come to realize that parents get too much praise and criticism for their child's temperament. Charlie has taught me that  children are born with their personality, and parents can only work to highlight their great qualities and help them express the challenging qualities in the best possible way. So, I can't take credit for the funny, charming, bright things Charlie does, but don't blame me if he bites you!

1 comment:

Baba said...

Yeah, my favorite time of the week is back...reading Courtney's
humerous blogs and seeing my ever growing intelligent,talented,and (yes!)aggresive grandson!

Court, may I add that as a preschool teacher for 35 years I have seen many children push other children down...but not so that they can stand on them, as you told me Charlie's Daycare Provider told you he did yesterday! To support your theory, too bad he pushes kids down, but how clever that he did it to use them as a foot stool rather than because he was mad! I have seen you and Billy in action with your daily mantra of "soft touch Charlie" and time- outs when necessary. I also see the unconditional love and gentle support you give him on a daily basis. Hang in there, one day he will become a physical but appropriatly social child.

Needless to say, Grandpa Coach and I are counting the days until your little family is living only a 5 hour drive away from us so we can become a bigger part of our only grandchild's life (and, of course, his mommy's and daddy's lives too!).