Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Life as we know it







I thought I'd give a quick update on our (nearly unrecognizable) lives. Parents tell young'uns that their lives will be completely different once they have children. Yet the young'uns (and I'm speaking from experience here) don't really believe or understand it until they have suddenly morphed into the parents and all they can do is try in vain to explain parenthood the new young'uns. Does that make sense? No? Well, to be fair, I'm writing this on about 2 hours of sleep!

Jimmy is three weeks old today and he's still incredibly laid back and sweet. He loves being held but doesn't complain when I need to set him down to take care of Charlie. Charlie is very affectionate toward Jimmy and seems to be feeling more secure with the changes in our lives. So far we've been able to get out every day and continue our schedule of playgroups, library reading times, etc, which has been good for all of us.

However, life is certainly crazy right now. From early in the morning until Billy gets home our day consists of a repeating routine of changing Charlie, changing Jimmy, feeding Charlie, feeding Jimmy, comforting both, trying to play with each of them a little...uh oh...changing Charlie, changing Jimmy... When Billy gets home I must feel the way nearly defeated soldiers do when they see reinforcements appearing in the distance. But somehow, having Billy home doesn't make things easier. Instead, the boys sense the new energy in the house and there is suddenly twice the amount of need for changing, comforting, and playing. Other moms have said they're impressed that we get out to the library and playgroups each day. They don't seem to realize the car rides to and from are like mini-vacations and that staying in the house is even harder than being out of it. If I had the energy to look at myself right now, I'm not sure I'd recognize me...dressed with a messy ponytail, poorly fitting maternity jeans, and practical shoes while struggling with a diaper bag, carseat, and cabin-fevered two year old. Yikes! Who is this messy looking lady?!

But I have two little boys who, even on rough days, are just delightful. Charlie makes me laugh so hard and Jimmy is sweetness embodied. And when I think about this stage being over forever, it makes me sad. I know that one day I'll have time to fix my hair nicely and find flattering jeans and I'll be able to carry just my own things in a normal sized purse, but never again will I have a soft little baby napping next to me or get to watch my toddler stroke my newborn's fuzzy head. So, how will we survive the ups and downs of this crazy time? I suppose that as the parents tell the young'uns (with a little nostalgia in the voices), you just do what you have to do.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you are so right and such a wonderful time for all...love baba/toach

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful family and such sweet kids that will lovwe Oxford and all their childhood memories with family and friends, toach