Last night I had another milestone...surviving the summer's first cook-out without giving away my secret. While everyone else drank Beth and Bridget's famous Old Fashioneds, I pretended to be hung over from the night before (in truth I had spent the night before lying around and falling asleep by 8:00...) and stuck to soda. And lots of brownies.
I had so many complicated schemes planned out before the party. For example, I thought Billy should tell everyone he wasn't going to drink, then slip me his virgin cocktail while I'd hand him my alcoholic one behind his back. Or maybe I'd ask him to get me drinks all night and he'd only pretend to add the brandy. But Billy insisted he's no good at fooling people and I had to agree with him.
At Wendy's Easter party (a few days after we found out) I was offered a mimosa. I was at a loss (everyone knows I never refuse a mimosa!) until Billy gallantly insisted only he knows how I like them so he'd make mine. I was so proud of his sneakiness until later, when I took a big swig, and he whispered judgmentally, "you probably shouldn't be drinking that. It has champagne in it." I asked why on earth he put champagne in it and he shrugged and said that people were watching him. So much for having a co-conspirator! Luckily we only have a couple more weeks until we can stop worrying about keeping our secret!
Courtney
No comments:
Post a Comment