



This weekend, Billy and I traveled once again to Cincinnati where we had a wonderful time at Doug and Julie's wedding. This was my first wedding with bean, and I discovered that being pregnant has both it's advantages and disadvantages at weddings.
Example #1: Though touching and pretty, the ceremony and mass were, understandably, very long. At one point the priest had the room stand for about 15 minutes, which wouldn't have been a problem except for the very high heels I wore in an attempt to prove I haven't become dowdy yet. After about 10 minutes, I started to feel dizzy. Not being Catholic (although the many Catholic weddings I've attended must earn me some kind of honorary membership) I wasn't sure what level of inappropriate sitting down would be. I glanced around and noticed that a couple other pregnant ladies had abandoned the rules and had sank back into the pews. Relieved, I took my seat as well, although I self-consciously kept my hands on my belly as if to say, "I'm allowed. I'm pregnant."
Example #2: Arriving at the reception, I quickly went through my mental checklist (a subconscious ritual formed from attending dozens of weddings in the past few years.) Appetizers: No line! My seat: Facing the bride! Drinks: Open bar! But just as my excitement began, I remembered that the open bar wouldn't be much use to me. While our table slowly became covered with beer cans and bottles, my setting slowly became cluttered with half-empty glasses of brightly colored virgin cocktails (Virgin Marys, Shirley Temples, Cherry Cokes, and, eventually, lots of water to counteract my sugar coma).
But, as Billy became a little tipsy and increasingly affectionate, and the baby kicked wildly (I'm guessing it had something to do with all those virgin cocktails) I decided open bars are no match for baby.
Courtney
Example #1: Though touching and pretty, the ceremony and mass were, understandably, very long. At one point the priest had the room stand for about 15 minutes, which wouldn't have been a problem except for the very high heels I wore in an attempt to prove I haven't become dowdy yet. After about 10 minutes, I started to feel dizzy. Not being Catholic (although the many Catholic weddings I've attended must earn me some kind of honorary membership) I wasn't sure what level of inappropriate sitting down would be. I glanced around and noticed that a couple other pregnant ladies had abandoned the rules and had sank back into the pews. Relieved, I took my seat as well, although I self-consciously kept my hands on my belly as if to say, "I'm allowed. I'm pregnant."
Example #2: Arriving at the reception, I quickly went through my mental checklist (a subconscious ritual formed from attending dozens of weddings in the past few years.) Appetizers: No line! My seat: Facing the bride! Drinks: Open bar! But just as my excitement began, I remembered that the open bar wouldn't be much use to me. While our table slowly became covered with beer cans and bottles, my setting slowly became cluttered with half-empty glasses of brightly colored virgin cocktails (Virgin Marys, Shirley Temples, Cherry Cokes, and, eventually, lots of water to counteract my sugar coma).
But, as Billy became a little tipsy and increasingly affectionate, and the baby kicked wildly (I'm guessing it had something to do with all those virgin cocktails) I decided open bars are no match for baby.
Courtney
2 comments:
I miss you guys tons and I can't wait for bean to come along ... Courtney, the second you can, I promise to take you out for a glass of wine (or two, or five) and let Papa Bill tend to bean for a while.
Yay bean
If it makes you feel any better, after Chris told me that he saw you and Billy at work I asked him if you were "showing". He got a quizzical look on his face and I reminded him that you are pregnant; then he said that you looked the same as always to him. By the way, we heard you are considering English-type names. Uncle Ray said not to forget about "Cecil"!
Post a Comment