Tuesday, April 8, 2008

4 months old!



Charlie had his four month check-up yesterday. I was so proud of him--he smiled and giggled at the nurses, grabbed playfully at the doctor's stethoscope, and passed the physical exams with flying colors. He weighs 16 lbs, 1 oz (75th percentile) and is 26 inches long (85th percentile).

Unfortunately, once again shot day turned into a day of stress and fiasco. (Our loyal blog readers might remember that our furnace broke down after Charlie's two month shots). Yesterday, as my red-cheeked and sleepy baby and I left the doctor's office, my car broke down at a red light. Luckily, we had an oil change scheduled, so I went straight to the dealership. What I had expected to be an hour-long pit stop turned into an afternoon of learning my car needed serious repairs and waiting for Billy to take the bus home from work, then drive to rescue us.

Here's where the story takes a yucky turn (sensitive readers, beware!) While waiting for Billy, thinking and hoping the day couldn't get worse, Charlie's tummy made an awful noise. I grabbed what I could and hurried toward the bathroom, but I noticed on the way that he had already ruined his outfit. Once inside, I peeled off the messy clothes and just had his diaper off when I realized the entire changing area, his body, and...oh no... his hair and face were suddenly soaking wet. How does such a little guy cover so much area with his pee??? The bowl-shaped changing table was keeping the wetness at the bottom of the curve, where Charlie and his now-soaked changing pad were lying, and a quick look around confirmed that there was no where else to put him while I cleaned up. Poor Charlie was screaming, naked, and dirty and I knew there was a line outside the door. I had no idea what to do.

Somehow I managed to clean up the mess as best I could (and of course, I gave Charlie a good scrubbing when we got home!) but I have to admit, I'm not looking forward to the six month shots. What will happen next?

On a brighter note, we had the first pretty day here in Madison over the weekend. Charlie didn't seem to know what to make of the brightness after a lifetime of living indoors, but it sure felt good to be in the clean and fresh air!

No comments: