Monday, September 10, 2007

26 weeks



Another weekend, another shower! This one, however, was for not for baby (whom I worry is starting to think he's awfully important with all these showers in his honor) but rather for Katy the bride-to-be. After filling our plates with some seriously yummy cookies and cakes (made by the talented other hostesses) the guests shared stories about when they met Katy and her fiance and why they think the soon-to-be newlyweds are a perfect couple.

The sweet comments combined with my crazy pregnancy hormones (I've started becoming misty eyed at ridiculous sitcom endings and cheesy newspaper articles about people overcoming adversity...it's getting to be a problem) got me reminiscing about my own bridal showers and wedding. The past three years have gone so quickly, it doesn't seem possible that Billy and I have fit so much life into the time between our wedding and the dwindling months we have left as a twosome. When we got married, I think I had the vague notion that we would become parents someday, but I was so focused on Billy and our relationship that in some ways it seemed like it would be just the two of us forever. The future seemed like an uncertain and distant thing, and even though I knew our lives would change over the years, I couldn't quite grasp what would be different or how it would happen.

As I get to know this new "Daddy Billy" and as my feelings for our little guy grow stronger, I think I'm starting to get a glimpse of the life ahead of us that I couldn't quite conceptualize on our wedding day. I feel like we're on a bridge in our lives and I know we're crossing to an entirely new place together. Which, frankly, kind of makes me want to cry. Did I mention the crazy pregnancy hormones?

On another note, I thought I should post a picture of Billy's lovely paint job in the bathroom. I don't know what I'd do without a husband who takes my need for nesting seriously!

Courtney

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

THE BATHROOM IS LOVELY..YOU AND BILLY ARE TO BE COMMENDED ON YOUR CHOICE OF COLOR AND BILLY'S SWEATING ON SUCH A HOT DAY TO FULLFILL YOUR NATURAL NESTING TENDACYS. YES, YOU AND ACTIVE MOOSE ARE BEING TREATED TO THE ROYAL TREATMENT WITH ALL THESE SHOWERS. I HOPE HE USES HIS GENETIC INTELLIGENCE TO BE A CRUSADER FOR THE HEALTH OF OUR PLANET, XO BABA

Anonymous said...

The perfect couple, hard working, sincere, devoted, will only be enriched by sharing the raising of their child together. What a luckt boy to have chosen such caring, responsible and loving parents.
Did I mention that through osmosis, I too, am emotional about our grandson and mother and father to be?