Saturday, May 12, 2012

Arriving in London

 We're here! After months of planning and anticipation, our trip has begun. And I'm shocked to say we got off to a very good start.

Yesterday afternoon, about four hours before it was time to leave for the flight, I found that my to-do list was completely finished. Not wanting to start a new to-do list by letting the boys mess up the house, we decided to take one last walk through the Botanical Gardens. The boys promised they'd stay away from puddles, and they did for the most part, but just before we headed home Charlie was preaching to Jimmy about the importance of avoiding even little puddles because they might be deeper than Jimmy realizes when Charlie suddenly slipped and fell right into one. I braced myself for a meltdown. And yet Charlie laughed about this embarrassing mishap and everyone's mood stayed light. Phew.



 At the airport, we had to sit on the tarmac for an hour due to bad weather, but the kids held it together magnificently. Soon after take off they fell asleep on either side of us, and Bill and I spent the next 10 hours avoiding eye contact because we were both terrified we'd jinx it. The flight was really bumpy but the boys stayed asleep all night long. When Jimmy woke right before landing he started to cry, but the moment I worriedly whispered "Uh oh, we're not allowed to cry on airplanes!" he nodded solemnly and sucked it up. Never in a million years would I have predicted that. After the plane came to a stop and there was a moment of silence, Charlie pumped his hands in the air and shouted "Hurray for England!"

Things got even better when the driver pulled onto our street. It's a quiet courtyard just across the street from Kensington Gardens and surrounded by so many cute shops...mostly bakeries...


  
Our flat is tiny, but it's cozy and bright.

After all the time we spent cooped up on the plane, we were excited to spend the afternoon at exploring the Gardens. As the boys chased squirrels and pigeons I looked longingly at the Orangery Tea Room, but this afternoon's antics reminded me that this isn't that kind of trip.

After more than 24 hours awake, I'm going to sign off and join my boys. Cheerio!





5 comments:

Maureen said...

"Bill and I spent the next 10 hours avoiding eye contact because we were both terrified we'd jinx it."

HILARIOUS!! I know the feeling!!

So glad you are there safe and sound. Can't wait to keep up with your adventures :)

Sara said...

Awesome start to what's going to be an amazing summer! So much better than your first flight as a parent, if I'm remembering your story correctly. You're a pro.

Anonymous said...

so happy you take the time to blog courtney! love following your family adventures. fun to see a harbor cafe tee in london! max is off to israel on his next trip post H.C.! xo, patty

kate said...

So glad you guys are there, safe and sound! Hilarious blog, as always :)

Baba said...

"Hip-Hip-Hurrah", to quote Charlie
upon arriving in London. Your flat and surroundings are so quaint, "just
your little house" as you have always wanted. Thank for keeping us up to date on your travels. PS That looks like a cozy bed, just like the one dad and I shared with you and Cam in SF.