Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Settling In and Branching Out

I think the boys are starting to understand why we dragged them across the pond; since they've settled down a bit we've been able to start enjoying what England has to offer. I still can't figure out how to order a cup of coffee (I think it's "white filter coffee" but I'm not brave enough to try again) and the boys are still maniacs in our flat, but we're getting pretty darn good at the tube, we started spending each afternoon at an amazing park just down the street, and Bill and I are rediscovering our love for tea.

Last Thursday the boys and I took the train out to Hampton Court to spend the day at the palace of Henry VIII and 5 of his 6 wives. The boys loved the actors who roamed around re-enacting key moments of Henry's rule and as we left Jimmy sobbed "I miss the king!" all the way back to the train. Charlie loved all the elegance and mystery of the gardens, tea room, and kingly apartments. 


We can't get the hang of the camera timer

Charlie shares my love for gardens...Jimmy just wants to squish the pretty flowers.

Charlie has been excited to find a garden maze for months. I was very relieved to check it off our list--I knew he would consider the whole trip a bust if we didn't find one! We went through this one three times.

The boys loved playing in the courtyard, especially after a guard told them that little princes had been playing in the same place for hundreds of years.



Once Jimmy fell asleep in his stroller, Charlie and I went through the rooms full of priceless antiques, then we had a quiet cocoa / tea break in the former servants' hall.



It was such an awesome day!

Then, on Friday, I left for a trip all by myself! Walking through the airport on my own was one of the most luxurious things I've ever experienced. And even better, I was on my way to visit my very dear friend, Nikki, in Norway! 


Nikki's mom lives outside Bergen, in a place that can only be described as paradise. Nikki's husband, Patrick, woke me early on Saturday morning to go for a hike in her neighborhood. He told me that in Norway it's legal (and not at all awkward) to just walk through people's yards. I wish these were my yards...













Nikki and I had a fun afternoon in fantastic Bergen



Enjoying some fiskesuppe





But, sadly, all vacations must come come to an end. No more stroller-less strolls for me...

So, the past couple days we've been trying out some more nearby parks. 






Charlie's turn at the camera





2 comments:

Baba said...

Oh Court, I laughed out loud when you said Jimmy cried and said "I miss the King" all the way back to London. That means that Baba, Hallie, coach, and the Big Bad Wolf are all in good company as Jimmy says he misses all of us all the time (with the exception of the BBW who he asks if "he's coming yet."

I am so glad you all are finally adjusting to life accross the pond. See, if you just wait kids behavior will change...either bad to good or visa versa. It is also good to see you looking refreshed and happy. Thanks for taking so many great pictures. I feel like I am on your exciting trip with you.

Oh yeah, did I actually see the boys dressed in matching superman outfits? They look much happier than you and Cameron were when I dressed you two in matching Mickey Mouse outfits when we lived in Orange!

Dave and Stephanie Stoner said...

Hi Courtney!
We are missing you here! I am so happy to read that things have been getting better and the boys are adjusting. Did you just die and go to heaven with your weekend away? Were you able to sleep all night, or are you wired now to be up all night? Keep the blog posts coming! The pictures are great!

Stephanie