And yet, despite all this we've had really wonderful days. A week-long stretch of 80 degree days has kept us outside from early morning until late afternoon. On Saturday Bill and I wanted to bring the boys to a huge, wild park called Hampstead Heath, but Charlie woke with his heart set on taking a paddle boat out on the Serpentine Lake in Hyde Park. Happy that Charlie was excited about a particular activity, we agreed.
Of course, since we wake at 5:00am, we always have a lot of time to kill in the mornings. While we waited for the boat launch to open, we played in the water
and had a yummy little brunch by the lake.
The boat ride was an amazing success! Well, until Jimmy had a meltdown and tried to jump overboard.
| Charlie was worried that Jimmy would fall in |
After the boat ride, and facing a long afternoon trying to keep the boys entertained and uninjured in our flat, we decided to take the bus to Hampstead Heath for a picnic and hike after all. Pre-kids-Courtney would have been in heaven shopping at all the little boutiques in Hampstead. Post-kids-Courtney was in heaven riding the bus without having to listen to Jimmy scream:
Hampstead Heath was so beautiful. It was a hot day but the wind was blowing and the boys were happy and sweet. They ran and played and shared and said nice things to Bill and me.
And then we had to make the long journey back, and they cried, and whined, and fought, and said mean things to Bill and me. They were both so tired, and rightfully so, that Bill and I took turns carrying Jimmy and pushing Charlie in the stroller. When we got home we mapped our day and discovered we'd walked over 13 miles.
After more than 2 weeks here, we still hadn't done many touristy things yet. So on Sunday we went to Trafalgar Square and Covent Garden. Charlie loved the street performers and Jimmy loved all the statues. It was another beautiful day, and another day with great moments and moments I was sure we weren't going to survive this trip.
| So many directions to run away from mommy... |
But then, just when I was sure I'm not cut out for this motherhood thing, the boys and I had the most charming, relaxing, just plain enjoyable day at Coram Fields. The whole park is gated, but very large, and there's a splash pool, lots of play structures, a cafe, farm animals, and plenty of grass for running. It was like a day in the country despite being in the middle of London.
On the way home, Jimmy fell asleep curled up in Charlie's lap in the stroller, and I caught Charlie kissing his hair and patting his back. So, I suppose I won't give up just yet.
2 comments:
You are so brave! I love what you said about an average of 5 not capturing the highs and lows very well. Motherhood has definitely brought me to feel the extremes of emotions that I never thought existed- good and bad. You are an amazing mother, and you handle everything your boys throw your way with more grace than you think. Praying for more consistent peace for the rest of your trip...
As usual I love the pics. Charlies post card is on the fridge and I am going to put the red phone booth picture next to it.
I agree with Dave and Stephanie, both you and Billy are amazing parents and this trip, as challenging as it has been, will be a great memory for all of you.
Post a Comment