They don't know it yet, but a group of strangers will be brought together by their shared hatred of my family in just one week from today.
You see, Bill, the boys, and I are flying non-stop to London on Friday. We'll be there almost six weeks, while Billy does some research. People keep asking me if I'm excited, and I am, in a way, but I'm also realistic. While Billy is buried in newspapers and books at the National Archives, I'm going to be entertaining two wild toddlers in our 400 square foot flat, trying to corral them on the busy streets of London, and doing my very best to not let them fall onto the tube tracks. It's not going to be a normal vacation. But despite all that, I'm really happy we're going. Charlie has been talking about the trip for weeks and even Jimmy asks "England today?" every morning.
I've already packed our clothes (so if you see us at Kroger and you think we're all looking a little...last season...we only have about three outfits each at our disposal.) I know it's a little early, but every time I put on an article of clothing I know it has about a 1 in 3 chance of being ruined that day, and I don't want to find myself cardigan-less before the big trip. I think this decision was smart because I just noticed peanut butter finger prints all over the dress I wore today. Okay. Two outfits at my disposal.
While I usually try not to bog down this blog with personal news, I'm going to post updates and photos from the trip. Also, I can't help myself...here are some photos from our last trip to England, almost six years ago. I'm still trying to figure out a way to get out to the Cotswolds for a daytrip. See you on the other side!




























1 comment:
Bon Voyage brave daughter of my grandsons. I remember meeting your new "crush" Billy when I traveled to England to see you when you were students in Cambridge in 2001.
I remember the awesome, relaxing walking trip you planed for you and Billy after he completed gathering info for his book in Cambridge in 2006 (you both looked so free and relaxed).
Now, in 2012,I appreciate the effort it will take on this trip, with the extra baggage of your two darling, active boys. However all the extra work will be worth it for your close family to, once again, enjoy the country where you and Billy fell in love 11 years ago.
Post a Comment